Menu Design

This work was for a Graphic Design brief to design a menu for a restaurant. The restaurant I designed for was Mexican. After researching Mexican culture and determining significant public interest in it's Aztec and Mayan routes, I decided to produce work with that theme.

This shows my original idea pre-development. This simple drawing shows an Aztec symbol for their sun god, and is iconic to their culture thanks to it's significance to the Aztec and Mayan calenders, prominent in popular culture thanks to the concept of 2012. The media used was soft pastel, as I wanted to use something with it's own texture. I had the intention of developing this to look somewhat like a stone wall carving or something similar, and felt it would be easier with an existing texture to work with.
This is my previous drawing after digital development. I altered the colour and texture to give a more bronzed and damaged effect to fit with the with the theme. I then went on to apply the logo of the restaurant's name.


 For the restaurant's menu cover I decided to tile my design. This increases the sense of a carving in an Aztec temple wall.

This image shows the front cover of the menu, which continues to tile round to the back cover.